So in a reverse order of last weeks Friday games (last set of reports) I played the two guys again. These are much quicker reports as the games were much much quicker!
Battle Report #23 - 1500 vs Codex Marines
So facing the same Salamander (non-Vulkan) 1500 list as the previous report, no changes from the Vindy/Thunderfire Terminator army.
Mission was Kill points with spear head deployment, I win the roll to go first and reserve 3 squads and both bikes, deploying only a single squad. Basically the terrain was a big LOS piece in the middle and then plenty of tree's in the corners. I put him in the corner with the least terrain with the idea it would be nice and open for me to move into.
So having reserved 3 squads, I DS'd two down near his castle, now this was mistake 1 and cost me the entire game. They would easily be in 24" of nullzone and when they failed to do any damage except imob a rhino (which blocked his vindicator), it was going to be costly.
In his T1 I lost 4 of 5 terminators from 1 squad and 3 of 6 from belials squad, including the apoc on the first roll - NOT GOOD. At this stage I was tempted to concede as it wasn't who I was meant to be playing, but I thought screw it I'll keep playing. I was massively over extended, but I could still redeem it.
In my T2, I should have played defensive. Belial and that terminator could easily get 2 KP's from the speeders, in a trade for 3 KP's - but would require his entire army to shoot at me to do it. Instead, I sent the bikes in to get rid of the speeders and they failed, so I ended up killing them with the charge, they are now in vindicator territory with belials squad. Needless to say in his turn I lost all 4 bikes and terminators - I am now 5-2 down.
My T3 I get another bike and the remaining squad, I destroy the vindies cannon and rest of stuff is out of range. I just turbo around, and he kills a couple of terminators with that ****ing thunderfire cannon.
Just as a side note - I've had 8 full turns vs this guy now, he has fired his thunderfire all 8 turns vs me (32 shots) and his vindicators have had about 16 shots in those 2 games. And I am not lying or exaggerating - he has only scattered to the point he hit nothing - TWICE - and he hits on the majority of his shots. That is roughly 50 shots, with a possiblity of scattering is 2/3rd's - and anything above a double 4 (average) will scatter off and hit nothing, or very few. If he scattered, he generally would scatter no-inch'es due to BS, or 1 to 3 (very rare). He is by far and away the luckiest scatter roller ever. He is ballsy as hell with his DS's on things, and I've only seen him mishap twice (as in he will DS a speeder 8" from a target, 4" from the edge).
Back to the game, at this stage I have 9 terminators and 3 bikes/1attack bike - so 4 more KP's - he has quite a lot of stuff, but I'd moved out of 24" range - so basically would suffer only his rifleman dreads. I decided to call it to get a 2nd game. Tbh I am fairly confident I'd have drawn or only lost by a couple of KP's - I'd have probably gotten 1 or 2 out of the bikes before they died, and the CML's would have prob taken out his transports.
What I learnt is vital - not to be aggressive - I saw his castle, but just went gung ho anyway, I should have DS''d at 36" away from him, CML'd x4 his AV and stopped them - got the 2 easy KP's on the speeders and just had my bikes turbo until they had a good opportunity in T3 or T4 when I'd stunned enough things - I should have played for something like a 3-1 or 2-0 win rather than trying to win 10-4 or something (I wanted to rage through that car park).
Battle Report #24
So again a rematch of the Eldar game from last week. I was quite bitter about that game as I felt I completely vindicated his stupid arguments about how he was a counter for me. In reality I played it wrong and knew it. I could have been aggressive but if I was to do that, I had to be with my Belial squad. However, this game I knew I'd have to play it a bit smarter.
Mission was 3 objectives, with pitched and him going first - I was gutted as I felt if I went first I'd have been able to really cripple him.
Basically the terrain was incredibly open, but insanely good for him. It was the "figure of 5" set up with big forrests in each corner and center table - giving him cover to sit those war walkers behind. - The wave-serpents in the middle of his deployment and the avatar between them.
Objectives were 2 in my half, about 16" from each other and the edge of my board, he had 1 in his deployment right near his pathfinders in cover.
Turn 1 saw him fire a ton of EML's with frag into my terminators, and I lost 1 guy. He fired scatters and stuff into my command squad and I took 1 wound on Belial - the FNP made 2 wounds go away - thank god. All I heard was "lucky boy" a lot of times. But seriously - how many 1's can he expect me to roll vs him?
In my T1 this is where the 1's came out. Not a single CML hit or Pen, except 1 and he made his cover save. So that was 4 misses, and 3 1's (a 2 is a glance!). So I'd receive full fire in T2.
In T2 he actually does pummel the crap out of a squad and I think I lose an entire squad (the 4 man) via dire avengers as well, but now he's played into what I want - him to put stuff in mid field. I'd now be able to get on him next turn in some way.
So in my T2 I get both my reserves. They come in 1 each side - so thats perfect, 1 can charge his EML's, 1 can shoot his scatter lasers. Frags was the course of action for the direavngers and I hit with all 4 (finally, I've NEVER hit in 5th ed with a scatter!) and cause a total of about 28 hits, from that I think I killed all but 1 guy, and he Eldrad made all his saves unfortunately. He actually didn't roll for morale, if he failed that and ran it would have been game over with out Eldrads abilities. The bikes - I manage to take out 1 WW from the scatter laser squad, and destroy 2 guns on the same model (the bolters on both squads actually managed to get a glance!) and on the EML's I shot the MM at them, killing 1, glancing another (taking out its gun) and the bikers shot at the scouts and charged them - killing 3 in the charge.
In his T3 he dooms the bikers, fortunes the avatar I think, and fortunes eldrad or something like that. The fire dragons deploy and take out the bikes on that flank. Thats fine, their job was to kill the WW's which they did - and now the fire dragons are 2 turns away from being able to deploy against me really. He moves his WS with the direavenger right up to get in my way - he says he shouldnt have done this - but tbh I didnt care as I didnt need to shoot at it next turn, but it gave me a good chance to take out a contester early. In combat I lose all the bikes - the attack bike to a bloody fearless wound - eldrad killed the other 3 due to doom.
In my T3 I obliged the charge on the WS and killed it and the DA inside in the explosion (thanks chain fist!) I actually pen'd it like 5 times. I managed to knock another EML weapon off, so basically he just had 1 scatter laser and 1 eml left.
In his T4 he moved his firedragons forward and shoots at my command squad, he turbo's his WS from the dragons over to contest my objective going for the 1-1 draw, and basically called me lucky for making 4 3++ saves and 3 2++ saves. Not really, since in the last game I rolled 16 dice at one time, and 10 were 1's (and none were above a 3)- and he had the audacity of saying I rolled average at worst. I promptly charged the WS and hit it with a lot of attacks, 1 CF got through and 3 TH's - which all pen'd thank god and exploded it.
The game ends - 2-1.
They I discover how poor a loser he is. He starts talking about how he'd play it differently if we had more time, and that my army is just a "move forward" - as if there is nothing else to it (uh yeah there is, deploy like a tard and you get blown away). He also stated that my bikes were rubbish, to which both myself and my mate turn around and said that their contribution was pretty much game winning. Between the 2 squads I took his WW's down to only being 1 per squad, and killed 3 of 5 of his remaining scoring unit.
Quite annoying and soured me to playing him again I have to say, I do want to play him soon, as I think I've unlocked what I need to do vs these armies - and his especially (kill his fragile units?)
Shame I lost the first game, but its one of those mistakes that you'll never make again.
No comments:
Post a Comment