Friday, 11 March 2011

Battle Report #20 - 1500 Deathwing vs Blood Angels DOA

So I got to play against a proper competitive DOA army tonight, opposed to my mate who runs the some what hybrid list. I ended up having (alot) few beers with him and his mate afterwards so my recollection of the game might be *hazy* lol.

Deathwing List

Same 1500 as per.

Blood Angels List

Libby - Shield / Lance - JP
Libby - Rage / Lance - JP

2x SP - WP / JP

10x RAS - MGx2 PF
10x RAS - MGx2 PF
3x DC - JP PW

VVx5 - JP / PF / LC / SSx2

So his list wasn't quite optimal but it was tough in its own right. I told him to drop the DC and libby and run another VV squad and if he could fit it HG squad with melta, but he wanted to try the double libby for his own tests. The guy is a great player, attends a lot of tournaments himself, I've played him before with his foot guard and death star black templars, he is no push over and knows the game.


THE SETUP

I completely forgot to take pictures this game, but the table was fairly standard. We had 2 ruins on either side of the center line of the board, then smatterings of area terrain in the corners and sandbag/hurdles in various spots. It was not a jumpers heaven put it that way.

MISSION - 2 OBJIECTIVES
DEPLOY - PITCHED BATTLE

I won to go first and was looking to take first turn as for some reason I though we had spear head and felt that would lend to my favour, then remembered pitched and really I want to go second in that mission. He takes the side of the board I wanted him to

NOTE:

The way the terrain was positioned  I wanted "my" side - the south side - as the terrain was "open" on my side - I thought he'd drop and run into terrain - so I didnt want him dropping out of LOS and then being able to avoid counter charges due to diff terrain checks + shooting from my AP3 and down and blitzing me on the charge with everything.

DEPLOY

So he gets the "far" side of the board and puts his objective behind the big terrain piece on my right flank , I put mine fairly central - about 30" from his - but its in around the "spiked hurdles".

I deploy 1 squad around my obj - then 1 infront "bubble wrapping" - then belial and co to the right "near" his objective and mine (on the 12" line) so that I can counter charge or charge into the open space where I felt he'd land, bikes and 1 squad in reserve.


THE GAME

BA T1 - He asks if I am going to seize - tbh it wouldnt have been the worst idea but I want that lasts second grab ability - so nothing happens.

DW T1 - Normal Squad (S2) drops near his objective - about 12" away - doesnt scatter. I move  / run the rest of my guys so that that they deny good landing spots near my objective and push him into mid field / bad drop area's

BA 2: He gets x2 libbies x1 SP + 3 Squads - he lands 1 near his objective  - 1 center table that scatters back towards his edge about 5" and one just left of center table towards my lines that scatters a few inches. He shoots the 2 squads near his objective at my dropped squad and kills 3!

DW 2: I begin my reaction - Belial and co move up towards his objective with the plan to support in T3, the other 2 squads in my lines move towards the big blob near my objective - the 2 man squad moves to the center troops (they lost their CML). Shooting see's me drop drop 2 or 3 from each squad on my left and center, and I assault - 2 guys into about 8 without priest, and then 2 squads into his big unit w/ priest and libby. The 2 guys begin to whittle down his squad, as I cant chase him down he fails LD but doesnt take wounds. The big combat see's me win by a couple but same as the above.

BA T3 - He gets his DC and VV - his VV drop near the big combat and assault me - killing a couple off the drop. His other 10 man on his objective w/ libby with UR assault Belial and co and kill a couple, but I take a few in return and win combat, but dont do much, same again with VV/RAS multi combat.

DW T3 - I get 1 bike unit - the AB turbos to midfield the bikes go 12" as I think I may be able to assault as I thought the assault w/ belial was about 16" in, I was wrong, it's 18.5 lol. The VV combat I take out a couple more, but still stick in combat, the 2man group finishes up with the small group and consolidates near the DC. The big combat on the right with the UR libby goes on a bit and no one really is winning - he keeps making LD when I kill 1.

BA T4 - DC assault the 2 man squad and do nothing, the VV combat ensues and I whittle away to about 4 guys now - 2VV 1Sp and 1PF. The UR Libby combat see's it down to just the Apoc DW guy and the bikes that charged in. No one is going any where here just yet. The DC combat w/ 2 guys see's 1 guy die to the DW and no one die from the DW

DW T4: Rest of the bikes come in and turbo to mid field - VV combat is ended with a win finally - consolidated towards the DC combat. DC combat ensues, Libby with UR still goes on killing the remainder of the bikes w/ power weapons.

BA T5: Not much to happen, combat see's the DC finally lose, Libby squad down to 1 or 2 guys and not much else.

DW T5: The consolidations allow me to get everything into combat and finish off the final bits of the squad. I had 1 Attack Bike turbo to his objective, and already had 1 squad back to mine.

Conclusion:

I've tabled the guy, and hold 1-0 in objectives after 5 turns.

This guy is sound, and he's just getting back into his DOA list. I am helping him with it, and really he is looking at 1750 more than 1500 really, but we are working on a good list for him, he doesnt want dev's as he has ML spam for his SW's, so we are opting down the VV line more, but we were discussion some bits, the DC and double lib were just a pure "lets see" move really and he knew he wasn't really going full on with it.

It was a good game, he really shocked me with his drops, I expected him to drop his entire force near Belial and go nuts on them, but instead he stood back and attacked me from the front, I didn't expect that and didnt have my FNP squad as the front guys - I might need to run them as the bubble wrap in these sort of games. I didnt't DWA them, but I might need to create them as the "bait" for the 2++/4+FNP and 3++. I lost a LOT of guys to failed 2+'#s early!.

Big game tomorrow vs Eldar, the guy I played with my test mech list a few weeks back. People think his scatter laser x3 WW's and single squad of Dire's will soundly trash me. I am interested to see. I am not confident, but I know what I need to target!

No comments:

Post a Comment