First off, I am aiming to do a WIP post once per week, on a Sat / Sun covering what I've achieved over the past week, hopefully it will keep me ticking over nicely with the added push to get a post up. Going forward in the future I might have it as a some what regular piece as well to keep me pushing on the hobby consistently, as lazyness is certainly a big thing for me - for E.G I sped out 5 tanks for the BA's and havent touched them since around XMas really.
But on to the WIP stuff, pictures and comments:
BELIAL CONVERSION:
May as well start at the top. Since I want a GK-esque theme but also a suitably "stand out" character for my Belial - I've opt'd for Brother Captain Stern as the base for the Lightning Claw model. BCS required no modeling himself, and simply I have modeled some Lightning Claws onto him - which I think actually improves the model over all.
Claw 1:
Simple cut and pin - I used greenstuff (GS) to make sure that the pin lined up correctly with the model where I wanted it.
Claw 2:
This was easy - I just used a large drill bit to make a hole to slot onto the already exsisting metal plug on the BCS model - then added GS into the cavity, pressed it onto the model and removed it and let it set - thus allowing me to get a snug fit. I will also pin it as I do not want it coming off in transit on the way to the tourney.
"Final Product*
Without his left shoulder pad, but gives the over all effect - he looks like he's in a coup d'grace pose, much better than the what looked like an attempt to lick his own Nemisis Force Weapon before. As you can see I've done quite large pin into the left shoulder as well - this will have more greenstuff inside + glue to keep it firmly attached. Metal model's + breaking goes together, so the better we make them the better chance they have. This is also one of the few models I will actually use varnish on probably.
DEATHWING TERMINATORS:
I actually did a lot of work this Sat and Sun morning on these boys - even managed to get a primer coat on Regular Squad 2 (Reg Squad 1 will be painted next, then Command Squad, then RS 3).
I probably wont magnetise every single arm, but all CF/SB's will be incase I decide against them closer to tourney time, and ofcourse all CML guys will be - since if I run them as Space Wolves (or regular TH/SS) I need the ability to change them up. The entire of this squad is magnetised though. Here's some pictures.
The wing shields are actually for the command squad - simply just power sword arms from the sarges plus the Sang Guard wings. The other 2 will use different arms - I may use PF's just to get different poses, as you will see these arms are in a slightly "non-shield" wielding manner for some of the models. The pile behind is some of the magnetised and non magnetised arms I made up. Keeping them all together for safe keeping!
Regular Squad Two - one guy with his arms off - rest with theirs on - again the pile behind lol. Also primered these boys up (and done a test base coat on the CML itself).
Here's the command squad shield on the CML guy - as you can see its a bit "off" - so these 2 shields will be used on the guys looking like they are moving forward - which is cool, the other two shields will be in a bit more of a dynamic pose (the apoc's one is already made + magnetised).
And thats it for the Deathwing atm. Nexts weeks update hopefully will either be the entire of the force finished construction + prime and some base coats or 1 squads base + highlights done.
RAVENWING BIKES:
I am actually really pleased with these - both on the modelling side and the painting side. For the first time in a long time I painted the squad as 1 rather than model by model, and it obviously has ended in a much more cohesive unit look. There is still work to be done - namely the bikers themselves and the WYSIWYG (Frag/Krak and MB) but here is the work so far.
Sarges for Squad 1 and Squad 2:
Again I want each unit to have some form of GK theme - so here the Sarges are simply PAGK's cut in half. I've filed down the Stormbolters to make them just chunky bolt pistols - but the wrist mounted nature makes them perfect as its believable that they are actually riding a bike as well.
Chainswords for Sarges 1 and 2:
I couldnt just use regular chainswords now could I? Nor could I use the NFW as they aren't WYSIWYG - so a small bit of converting here:
Really simple job - sliced the power weapon bit off - and sliced off the chain sword - filed them down a bit to make sure they are level, drilled holes in each - pinned and used greenstuff to level off any gaps in them (also adds extra external stablity when it sets) - wipe over with super glue - again for stablity and bobs your uncle. Hopefully will really make the bikers pop.
When I pre-wrote this article I hadn't actually got to this stage, but I rage'd out quite a bit of converting this morning, and I got to this stage. The Sarges arent glued down to the legs yet (and the lets arent glued to the bikes, I'll paint the guys off the bikes) but they are getting there, and the holes I've bored out in their torso's allow them to sit quite nicely - I will pin + green stuff to make a secure connection obviously. I am not putting faith in super glue + metal/metal contact. I think they actually look better than how I envisioned them. What do you think?
Now for the actual squad bikes themselves - this is Squad 1 - sans the biker riders - which are obviously being converted for WYSIWYG.
Here's a couple of comparison photo's (including the original from a good few posts ago) to the original / test Ravenwing bike:
I think the newer models are much more effective - the green/blue is much nicer / smoother, especially on the highlighting - and the exhaust look much more effective - the only thing I cant decide on is how I'll do the detailing. I am really tempted to do a "plasma core" like engine - bit like the exhaust but right up to a white glow as if its working on over drive. I'll test on the exsisting test model.
The Attack Bikes -
Really I was behind on these fella's, but I just raged them out today and got them both primered and base coated, I may even be able to get ahead with these guys this week. (I have since tidied them up with a black coat over where the base coat has spilt over),
Conclussion:
Thats it for this week on WIP. I thought I was behind really, but I think I've pulled myself ahead of where I need to be at this stage just off the back of a few hours work this weekend (one good thing about being on-call I guess, my inclination to do nothing but gym and hobby). It wasnt quite what I'd planned, but I think I need to go with the flow a little bit as well.
Stuff I am looking at doing this week:
- Base coat either Reg Squad 2 or Biker Squad 2 (and try and get the coats of blending on as well)
- Finish off arms (only a few conversions left, and maybe 3 or 4 models worth of magentising)
- Finish pinning and base coat biker models - have it so next weekend all riders (including attack bikes) are done/glued and primed.
- Figure out squad markings for each squad.
I really want to get 1 term squad done - I might do a squad + the attack bikes I think, but we'll see how I feel Tuesday night which is the next night I properly pick up a paint brush (I may do tonight actually - we'll see whats on TV lol).
I really want to get ahead of the game this week and give myself a ton of time to play around with the likes of Belial later in the month.
Whats your thoughts?














Oooh, Those look awesome.
ReplyDeleteI have to saw that I love how Belial is turning out.
Keep it up.
Cheers dude.
ReplyDeleteNot had so much progress past couple of days, when I get back from the gym tonight I plan to rage out some magnets on the remainder of the arms (Since I've decided that it might be a good idea to be able to run a ton of options, plus I can then rock them as WG termies so easily with their huge wargear options) and maybe basecoat the first squad and the remaining bikes (to get nice even coats).
Back from gym and sat down and just raged out some basecoating to prep for the the rest of this weeks work. I've now got an entire squad, the remaining 3 bikes and both attack bikes ready for work.
ReplyDeleteI think I am going to start with the terminators and get a squad done and ready so that I can evaluate and improve - I might then look at getting the attack bikes done as they have the most to be added to them once they are painted (both driver and side car dude as well as magnetised MM)
I think bikers and squad 2 will be week 3 WIP - which hopefully, after 3 weeks work and 1 month away will see me with:
HOPEFULLY COMPLETED:
Squad 1
Squad 2
Bikers 1
Bikers 2
Attack Bike 1
Attack Bike 2
IN THEORY LEFT TO DO:
Belial
Command Squad
Squad 3
With a month to do them - command and belial I would do in the single week - then use the remaining 2 weeks to tidy the army, add squad markings (if I've not done so already) and sure all details sparkle and pop.