Monday, 7 February 2011

Deathwing WIP Update: Part 1

So this is the first part of my Deathwing WIP for doing the entire army.

Right now I am about 80% through construction (sans arms - which I'll prob super glue this week so I can snap them off when I go to magnetise). My goal this weekend was to get 15 constructed and base coated - and get the bikes made up. I got about 18 made (bodies / faces) and all the CML's (x5) magnetised (which got easier as I went on). However I didnt get the final bikes made - I'll get the chasis's made up but I want to use "current" bolters instead of the old crappy bolters - and also pre-heresy melta guns for the bikers. I actually had much less time to do everything than I thought - but no issues.

Here's the Deathwing shot:


As you can see I've "Grey Knighted" up the terminator helms - the first 3 or 4 looked pretty trash - but I got my cutting down much better (with the help of an exacto blade swap) but these crap ones again I've superglued so I can just pop them out if I really dont like the finished product. Hopefully this makes them look a bit GK like but not completely departing from the DeathWing theme (the actual terminator bodies). I think also these will get a great effect when painted up - more so than the normal faces (I may run a single squad with normal faces though - the 5th squad for 1750/2k)

The APOC Arm:


Really this is my first go at converting in a LONG time - I've not even kit bashed except for the incredibly easy "librarian conversion" I did using Sang Guard (oooo I swapped an arm with a real Libby!). I am "vaguely" happy with this - though it will be swapped at some stage as I think the PF looks a bit silly - also I want the command squad to be the metal GK models - and this only fits in scale with the plastic terms.

The Storm Shield:


Since I used Sang Guard models for the Honor Guard I had a ton of wings left over, and I couldnt find my spare Shields (which turns out I didnt have enough anway) so I thought what the hell. In retrospect I should have used a bolter hand to do this - as its only the APOC that gets this shield and thus would fit on a bolter fist (may use the PW arms for a couple of TH in the squad).

I may run the commaand squad as plastics afterall - The APOC and x3 TH/SS all using these winged shields (very deathwing imo ... also to work for GK's - simply they are the wings of the Emperor's Eagle ... sort of). The Company Banner will actually be the TH / SS itself - I plan on converting the model so he's sort of "swinging" it - and have the shield strapped to his back in sort of "I'm a crazy mofo anyway" as I always maintain anyone that carries a banner is putting themselves at a hinderance anyway ...

 So thats the start of it.

I have my first proper game on Thurs vs Atriedies from Sons of Sang blog with his mech guard - I am running:

Belial - LC/LC

Command Squad - x5 TH/SS - CML - Apoc
Regular Squad - x5 TH/Ss - CML
Regular Squad - x5 TH/Ss - CML
Regular Squad - x5 TH/Ss - CML
Regular Squad - x5 TH/Ss - CML

Bike Squad - x3 Bikes x1 Attack Bike - MGx2 MMx1
Bike Squad - x3 Bikes x1 Attack Bike - MGx2 MMx1

Plan on using bikes for outflanking "scare the crap out of his deployment" (seriously Ravenwing CANT have a wrong side. Oh you castle up and I get wrong side, TURBO, good luck killing them and not firing at my 2+/3++ troops) - I get the side I want? Side/Rear armor + charge if need be. Meanwhile I have 10 S8 shots at 5 targets (want to slow his Plasma then Melta carriers down first).

I have 40 points left over - common sense would run WH/DH Inquistor (Fluffy as well ... ) with Hood but I might run Tarot - because I can lol. Or I add banner and MB's.

My other thought (read: stolen) was the crappy devs which supporting this list arent bad - same core but add a GK Hero w/ Psycannon and x2 squads w/ x4 ML's - 21 shots a turn - but actually the bikes get only a few less shots but at more targets and are all fearless.

Anyway, really looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness that's really pulling together. My best model buddy made his terminators look like yours with the helmets, very nice touch in the end.

    Melta bikes look like fun. Cant wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just "finished" up the bodies of all the terminators - still a bit of work (purity seals ... arms) - the command squad are going to get a slightly better version of the stormshields - the wings - I have decided - so hopefully can make that work nicely.

    Whats crazy is the more I think about this army, the more I realise how good it can be - I was worried about scouting (even going 1st if init is stolen) but you can use a single squad to screen the rest of the bikes - and while 1 squad might fall - its probably going to take a fair whack of fire power. Had some other thoughts about deployment and what not. Battle report tomorrow (vs Guard - hopefully some pictures) and maybe a "tatical" post on Friday/Sat morn.

    ReplyDelete