Thursday, 17 February 2011

Battle Report #16 - Doublewing vs Loganwing 1500

It's the battle of the Wings!

This is a re-match of sorts vs the Loganwing player I've played a couple of times - I played him on my first night back in the hobby just under a year ago with my DoA craptastic Blood Angels 1000 points, vs his gunline blob guard - and at the time had no idea of pretty much anything except my own army lol (guard had had 3 new army books since I'd left!). I played him about 2+ months ago with my mech and really hammered him in a doubles game (playing with a v.bad DE player who is taking Death Co. to a tourney this weekend) while he paired up with the other Loganwing player I near tabled 2 weeks back (yes they both had Logan in 2500 total). I've been eager to play him again, and like I said ... I'd probably end up playing Space Wolves again tonight (tbh there was only 1 other guy there tonight I fancied playing

So ... enough back story, on to the game. (And I have to say that was a damn fun game).

THE SETUP

Unfortunatly I forgot to take photo's, but the table was basically 2 "bigish" warhammer bits (the stupid steps/altar thing and a sort of hilly castle with steps and a balcony you can get to) then plenty of area terrain scattered around.

PITCHED BATTLE
OBJECTIVES x4

He sets up first and puts one on the balcony - about 16" in from the far long table edge and same again from the right flank. I put mine about 13" away towards the near long table edge - but now about 13" from the right flank (so slight angle) he now puts one on the alter that is about 13" from the near long table edge, about 20" from the left table flank, and I put mine about 12" away from the other 2 on the right flank to form a triangle.

He wins to go first and takes the "far" side as I've described it - perfect - I can walk easily to 2 objectives inside 1 turn.

THE LISTS

Additionally: Fluff wise this was the absolute perfect game lol. His "wolves" are infact Chaos - which are infact Fallen Dark Angels (meant to be some fallen Deathwing, which are lead by an uber DW guy, I.E Logan, I.E Abadon, I.E DW Captain of some sort from the Heresy days). My army is the Disciples of Caliban / Grey Knight efforts - which are tracking down the Fallen. Hoorah!
 
SpaceWolves
Logan
Rune Priest - TDA

Lone Wolf - TDA / FB / Combiplas
Lone Wolf - TDA / FB / Combiplas
Lone Wolf - TDA / FB / Combimelt


4xWG - TDAx4 - Combi Melta x2 / CML / SS / FB / Flamer - DROP POD (w/ Libby)
4xWG - TDAx4 - Combi Melta x2 / CML / SSx2 - DROP POD (w/ Logan)
3xWG - PA / Plasma Pistol / PW (x2 with |BC's, x1 "hides"
BC x8 w/ PWx1 MGx1 - Rhino
BC x8 w/ PWx1 MGx1 - Rhino

Vindicator


Dark Angels
Belial - LC

Com Squad - TH/SSx5 - CML  - APOC
Reg Squad - TH/SSx4 - CML - CF/SB
Reg Squad - TH/SSx4 - CML - CF/SB
Reg Squad - TH/SSx4 - CML - CF/SB

Bike Squad - Bikesx3 MGx2 Attackbike MMx1 Melta Bombs
Bike Squad - Bikesx3 MGx2 Attackbike MMx1 Melta Bombs

THE GAME

So he's going first, he deploys his lonewolves fairly center in some terrain (no idea why, nothing I have can get past his 2+ that can shoot @ him). He places 1 BC squad on my far left flank - obviously going for the lone objective, and then the vindy behind cover (the hill castle) and the rhino closer to the right table edge. He also hides a single wolf guard on the objective - I am not entirely sure but I think this might be illegal - I know WG can become pack leaders, but would have thought they need to be assigned to a squad or be in their own squad, because technically thats a scoring single unit? Any who....

I deploy up on the right flank - surprise. I can be on 2 objectives in turn 1 if I want. I set up 3 squads up about 8" to 12" in - and about 4" or so apart - spreading out to make "tempting" pockets to drop in - where I should be able to assault with 2 squads where ever he drops (or retreat if he gets a bad scatter so he has to advance). Belial goes into DW Assault Mode, and I decided to outflank the bikes - I am glad I did.

TURN 1:

SW T1: I try to seize - but in retrospect I dont need/want to - I want to deal with his drop pod's - I was thinking about dealing with his rhino's and vindy. No matter I failed! He drops his libby down to the left of my squad and it lands right on top of them - so 1" away. He seperates the libby (no idea why) to line up a Jaws (he had a pretty good one - hitting like 7 guys) and his squad go out the other side of his pod (towards my table edge). His lonewolves run badly though terrain and he runs them in the open. BC1 ploughs towards to the lone objective, BC's 2 plough out on the flank near the cluster of objectives. The vindy moves what I can only guess is more than 6" to get into range - but I forgot to check. In shooting his vindy scatters off miles. His Libby fails to cast Jaws (serves him right for moving that vindy miles, but incidently it would have scattered right onto where the bikes would have been deployed ...) but he does take out a term with shooting from a regular squad.

DW T1: Time to react - Belial goes for the jugular - the vindy. I set him down about 6" forward of the mid way line - only a really bad scatter would get a mishap - but I get a great one - 7" forward - nearly into rear armor with the CML. Squad 1 moves foward towards center objective / midfield to get some support shots if needed, S2 moves towards the libby, S3 moves towards the terms. Shooting - Belial's CML destroys the Vindys weap, fantastic - and cant move or shoot next turn. S2 kills the libby with a CML shot (thats why you dont leave squads ...) and S3 charges the terms (S1 did nothing to the vindy front armor - prob should have shot at rhino - but both had pretty decent cover saves). Assault see's me take out a couple of terms, but he kills 2 in return (he went at higher init with power weaps). He failed LD but made the save.

SW T2: Logan doesnt come down. His BC's get out and try to shoot and charge Belial - mistake. He moves his LW's a bit further foward and pot shots at S2 unsuccessfully. His BC's charge - and actually do take out the CML and CF I think via shooting and combat - but Belial tears face with the LC's and the others clean up and kill to just the WG in the turn - but he does make LD.

DW T2: I get 1 bike in and they come in on the side w/ Belial etc... I move the bikes on to blow up the rhino and the MM AB to get the vindy - my logic being the rhino was more important since it could start blocking etc.. where as the vindy was pretty stuck due to so many TH terms in its way - also the bikes could charge a bit better. S1 moves back a little bit to deny ground for Logan going into my ranks with my troops - still near x2 objectives. S2 moves back aswell - S3 is still locked in combat. Command 1 (C1) obviously still in combat. Shooting see's the MG's explode the rhino prolifically, but the MM failed to hit, then failed to hit with the krak against a stationary target (urgh). Belial finished the WG

SW T3: Logan comes down and drops near Belial - using the DP to "block" me from my C1 w/ the other squads / that objective in the hillcastle. He shoots at the command I think kills 1 (its now just Belial, 1 guy and a Apoc). His LW's get closer - right to the tree's near my left most objective. His BC's get out and take the other objective, his vindy runs around after I keep informing him he cant tank shock with the side - he can only pivot and I'd move out of the way while staying in base to base unless he moved away. In combat my S3 finally wins and consolidates up near the LW planning on charging it to slow them down.

DW T3: I dont get my final reserves. Belial and the bikes are stuck with Logan - I cant really give him the charge, I was thinking of bubble wrapping Belial and counter charging, but tbh I needed to grind him down until some more terms could come in to claim that far objective and clear any contesting on that board edge. S1 moves a bit further towards that combat - but pot shots at the rhino and imob's it. S2 shoots at the vindy but fails to do anything, S3 shoots at the LW but he saves. Assaults - The bikes + Belial assault Logan (4 WG + Logan) and the x3 TH/SS terms assault the LW. Which means I still have x2 5 man squads out in the field holding x2 objectives which he has v.little to shift now. In assaults the TH/SS kill the LW and consolidate into the tree's beside them - forcing the LW to charge them in cover. Belial and Logan both do a bit of damage - I lose 2 bikes - but nothing else (T5 is a bitch I tell you) - but I do lose combat by 1 - but make the save.

SW T4: He doesnt have much to do except assault S3 w/ the LW - we go at the same time, I make my saves, and kill him, his final LW that joined the combat goes, and does nothing, I think I put a wound on this guy as well. Logan starts faffing around with PF/FB action trying to kill off the bike w/ FB (failed) and Belial w/ PF (failed) - I lose another TH though - only the Apoc and Belial left now, and the bike lol.

DW T4:  I finally get my bikes in, and they come in the far side (urgh) so I figure they take out a couple of blood claws, and maybe make them run, if not charge and bog them down near their objective. S1 moves up to about 5.5" from the epic combat, S2 moves into position to grab both objectives while trying to get rid of the pesky SB fire from the drop pods. The MM AB has been failing to get rid of that Vindy for 3 turns (missed with everything, even took a wound from SB) so he decides to charge Logan to get some T5 loving in there. In assault Belial gets backed up by the TH/SS terms, but they make it only into combat with 1 guy (SS/CML) Logan gets rid of the bike finally, and puts another wound on Belial. Belial kills the CML meaning that the TH/SS cant attack anything now - no matter they are in combat thats the big thing. The Apoc does finish off the last WG in there so its now Logan vs ALOT - and he has 2 wounds left.

SW T5 : His BC's over on the other side of the board - they charged the ravenwing bikes, and killed all but 1 - I had forgotten to charge them in T4 but tbh it pulled all the BC's off the objective) - so if the game ended I could be 2-0 up quite easyNot much left to do I move S2 out so it claims 2 objectives, S3 is still w/ the LW, and S1 and S2 are over near that far objective.Logan combat ensues - I cant remember exactly how/where and when but I know he is left with basically a 1 or 2 wound Logan. The final LW combat is still going, and he makes a couple of saves on his final gu at this stage.

DW T5: Again not much left to do I move S2 out so it claims 2 objectives, S3 is still w/ the LW, and S1 and S2 are over near that far objective. Again its only really combat, I put 1 more wound on the LW, its down to 1 (I might have messed up how these combats went, btw lol). Logan puts another wound on Belial (down to 1) and fails to hurt the attack bike. Belial put 4 wounds on him and he makes all 4 4++'s - the TH/SS's finally start getting mass hits now (all game they'd been hitting like 1 in 3) and put 6 wounds on him, which he promptly fails most of them - one dead logan. I consolidate 1 squad onto the castle objective (I still dont see this ghosty WG), the bike consolidates to death or glory the vindy if tries to contest, and Belial and the Apoc move to the side armor of the vindy. The TH/SS finally finishes the 3rd LW and cosolidates onto the nearest objective. The WG finishes the final RW biker and consolidates - but is not 3" away from the objective. If it ends its 2-0 me (1 squad holding 2) - maybe 2-1 if I wasnt in contest distance with the TH/SS's

We roll for game to end - it doesnt.

SW T6: Out pops the WG - he plasma's 1 TH/SS from S1 away and charges. Promptly gets killed. I cosolidate onto his objective. He now only has 1 troop choice, the vindy and the imob'd rhino and 2 weaponless DP's. He did tank shock the bike and I failed with it and it died lol. He concedes.

FINAL RESULT - 3-1 Deathwing.

CONCLUSSION:

First off sorry for the bad report, I wanted to get it down quick, but that S3 was in so many combats I forgot how the series went as from T1 onwards they were constantly in combat in all but 1 or 2 phases's lol - and a bit of the same with the Belial / Logan combat - all I know is that ended at the end of my T5.

First off, my god my MM AB's sucked lol. The first one failed to hit that Vindy on rear armor 2 or 3 times, and failed in combat twice - autohit kraks! S3 did a bang up job. CF/SS would have made that job harder for sure, but I'd have used S2 to support in that case and think I'd have come out on top well. The command squad did a great job in his lines, holding logan up for a long time - and tbh that was my fear - a bunch of PW wielding I4 guys against my squad - and they held their own - I am not so worried about Sang Guard now - as they dont get that invul (which he made more 5++'s that any man should).

One thing is that I should have put S1 in midfield much sooner so they could have joined the combat 1 turn earlier.

Over all pretty pleased, I did pretty much execute my game plan, get on the objectives early and force him to decide how he wants to deal with me, I hold 2 easy, while he has to shift 1 contester and make sure he holds his own.

Again sorry for the crappy writing - I really need to take picture by picture accounts in a more formatted manner - or just start jotting down things!

No comments:

Post a Comment