Friday, 14 January 2011

Not really WIP; Test Models?

With the FAQ and a few more bits on GK's I've gotten myself all excited and started to plan things in my head.

What I think I am going to do is run my GK's as two potential armies - both a DeathWing army and the their GK's standard. Through the power of magnets it should be fairly easy to have x20 terms w/ arms that can be SB/Psycannons or TH/SS.

These are just test models, all are just testing the colour pallet, and not really putting attention to detail, I may mock up a proper model and spend more time on it and get it properly done/blended.

The GK Terminator:


What I do want to do is work out how I am going to do the rest of the model. The body and left arm are going to be in this green/blue hue (with a little bit more cyrstal/glow effect) but I am tempted to do the entire right "CC arm" in a sort of blue glow from the power weapon, blending from bright blue right down to a black. Either that or do the sword as crystal and maybe leave the arm black as contrast to the green/blue.


The GK Trooper:


This was a very quick job done a couple of days later. Firstly it was to see if my colour combo was written down right (I had it fractionally wrong, I did the leg later and that is much more correct) and also I wanted to play with the highlighting on the armor - especially the leg/large surface area's.

Next UP: I am going to bosh out one of my 3 spare "old school" rhinos which I use for large surface area paint testing (I.E before I paint a tank the scheme I want, I test it on at least 1 side to see what it looks like). They are heavily coated by now (after all they are all at least 15 years old and see more army colour schemes than I've seen birthdays), but it does the job.

Blood Angel / Space Lions Honor Guard/Lion Guard Tester:



Yup on a Sang Guard, which seem to have become my test models of late. This scheme fits in with my army and looks kinda funky, it really works on the Sang Guard armour, with all its nooks and crannies to get the blend from dark red to yellow. This will represent 1st company vets/non-terms + "lion" (wolf) guard.




Back to the GK's: Reason behind the scheme.





While I've had a few compliments on the models (really the iPhone does actually make them look worse), I've also had a few "erm Grey Knights ... arent they Grey?". I did tell one guy "thats grey isnt it? sorry I am colour blind", but mostly I do just say "well I HATE painting Grey" and pop out my NMM GK's and just say that I could not do an army of that (i've got like 1 squad done - which took forever) as I despise painting large quanties of grey.

Partly in a way to justify my scheme (I've wanted to do an army with this scheme, I also want to do a army with Jade Green, thinking Daemons), partly because I thought of a cool concept behind it.

The GK's arent actually this colour ... my army is the beaten and down trodden memory of a Asartes being de-briefed (interogated?) by a Inquistor, after he "survived" a massive conflict with a Daemon infestation. He recalls during the battle that some of his Squad/Company pointed to these other Asartes land on the planet via Storm Ravens / Thunder Hawks, some just teleporting in. He could not get a good view of them, but all he saw was these gloriously illuminated Astartes fighting kilometers away, creating large explosions of light and flame, like nothing he had seen before, and the reflection he saw was something akin to crysal, but almost mystical.

The Astartes brother barely survived, beaten and exhausted, he collapsed and passed out. During this time the GK's wiped out any surviving Marines, for they could not know of who they are (according to Apocalypse or IA book?), in his near death state, with bodies piled upon him, he must have been over looked. When the clean up crew came, he was brought on the ship, before you know it and his story getting told, a Inquistor shows up to ask him about what he saw.

Once the Inquistor heard this, he calls for everyone to leave the room, at which time he turns the Brother's mind to mulsh. This vision is now trapped inside a his head, unable to be re-itterated to any living soul, it is his alone now, to keep him company in his remaining, lonely, days.

Logically in my mind, I am thinking that from across the battle field, a battle worn brother glancing at this army blasting away in their metalic armor w/ psycannons and these "foreign" weapons, the glow/illumination will look odd, given the circumstances.

I am quite pleased with it, as I think firstly the colour is quite unique (and once done better and on plastic which wont chip every 4 seconds) and the back story, it could be a lot of fun to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment