I've spent a bit of time analysing this game afterwards, and I've got a few reasons to why I drew, while I said it was an improvement over the last KP Spear head game I played against a v.similar list, I am still making similar mistakes in KP games.
Rather than go through the whole game I'll pick out the points by the pictures, which show a few of my mistakes, and generally how the game was going anway. Excuse blur on a couple - were just quick iPhone snaps.
This shows me after T1 I think. I've stuck to my section of the spear head in which I was quite aggresive. You can see his Raider in the center north of the photo, his dread and his double las pred. The two unpainted auto preds are autolas, that unpainted baal w/ the flamestorm is actually AC/B - rest you cant really make out, but those 2 razors behind the baal are both AC's and then lasplas's are a bit further back. The 3rd baal is in the building.
Here really what I did was being to engage him a bit on his terms. He wants to get his EC/Tactials w/ PF and the Terms/Marshal into close range. I should have been concentrating on getting long fire lanes at the dread/pred and the rhinos, pick up easy KPs and eliminate really the only long range that can do anything to me.
This was an error on my deployment and early movement. Not using my fast tanks was an error on my part this game, which is something I make (I normally whizz around a fair whack).
This is end of T2 I think. Hes managed to take the left lascannon of my autolas there, he's also wrecked that baal on the hill in CC - which had gotten shaken in T1, and he's take teh AC off my baal in the ruin. I've shaken and imob'd his dread. Despite the paint scheme that rhino by my wrecked baal is his - I lent it to him lol. At this stage, I should have basically come right back, spanked all fire into the pred and rhino (for a easy KP) and gotten out of dodge.
As you can see, I don't. I move back fractionally, his raider is now lining up and well within multi charge range. I'ev lost another baal and basically trying to create a new AV13 shield. The photo doesnt show it but I have tons of space behind me. Notice how he gets his rhinos out of dodge and gets his troops back in it.
And so it happened. He got his terms right up into my lines, however he didnt charge as he didnt have a good target (they are all LC'd - no TH's - so he didnt fancy trying to glance preds to death and then get hit with AP1 and AP2 rapid fire which would have made that unit go v.quick). I decided it was best to try and melta that raider, and try and fear the unit. However, after firing in x3 melta shots and x2 infernus pistols, I think so AC fire etc.. I got it wrecked on the last shot. He exits his terms on the left of his tank out of harms way. Also I stupidly pushed my guys quite far up to do this leaving them quite exposed.
This is the last meaningful turn, T4 - he's charged in his terms to my RAS squad that was in the open, and hit that razor and stunned it I think. At this stage I am 4-2 down in KP's. However I get a Fear off on thos terms which you see there - in T5 I escort them off w/ a fast move from one of my remaining empty razors.
The game ended here with a draw after T5 - nothing happened really except more running of those terms.
Its pretty clear I boxed myself in. He HAD to come at me, he only had 2 tanks that had more than a 24 inch range, rest had to come into my zone, at which I could just "run circles". I didnt put enough value in the easy KP's of rhinos and largely ignored them, a mistake I wont do again, getting his EC and x10 man squads out on foot - at which stage they become vulnerable to the torrent of AC/HB fire I can put into them if needed ... My priority should have been to shake/stun/kill those Pred/Dread/Rhinos until I had 4 KP's - while trying to keep his terms at arms length. Then had the option of just zooming off for a turn and repositioning to try and mow down some of his troops or go for the raider w/ lascannons etc..
I wasnt really in the best frame of mind for this game (work issues) but I've forced myself to "sit down" before a game and take a good think about priorties/missions.
At least it wasn't a loss, but I really could have won that game quite easily.





No comments:
Post a Comment