Thursday, 6 January 2011

Battle Report #6 A - 1500 vs Black Templars - Post Game Analysis

Righto just finished up a game vs black templar. I've played this guy before when he was using his guard and won pretty comfortably in a 4 objective mission. I wont do the full BR now as I have a couple of pictures (which highlight how bad I played this game).

I dont like excuses, but I came into this game rushing to get started as I was kept late at work due to a client being an absolute arse and doing what I think was intentionally postponing telling me vital information in a move to annoy me. /rant over.

The game was KP's w/ spear head, I lost first turn (6 to a 5!) and didnt steal. In retrospect I got a pretty good side of the table, but setup by me was horrible, and before I realised it (T2 or T3 I think) I'd wedged myself into a hole. The pictures will show the setup, but basically it was a big LOS ruin in the middle with tree's in the front corner of each "spear head".

His list was pretty decent actually.

Emp Champ
Marshal
x5 LC Terms
LRC
x10 Noviates w/ PF/MG
x9 Noviates w/ PF/MG
x2 Rhinos
x1 Dread
x1 TLLas Las pred

His list is actually pretty decent for a "deathstar" unit. He had the emp champ in the 9 man unit and the marshal in the raider. He is a pretty long time tourney vet, he does chop and change the armies he plays with, but he certainly doesnt pander to fluff or anything like that, he generally does take pretty good choices, even if they are not all "full optimised" he at least comes with "rock" lists.

I ran with a slightly alterred list, dropped the sang priest and upgraded the dakka to a baal predator. This left me 15 points, so I gave the libby a infernus pistol. I stuck with Fear of the Darkness as I do much prefer it.


THE GAME:

Right so a quick one on the game, it ended up a 4-4 draw on KP's after 5 turns.

I deployed extremely badly as I said, I kind of bunched up near the front "bottom long edge" of my spear head. What I should have done is looked at his list, looked at where he sat up and gone "right this is a gun fight for 2 turns, he has 4 lascannons that can fire at 2 targets, which are probably going to be baals AV13". I have 4 lascannons, while not TL'd, can fire at 4 different targets, plus the AutoCannons for a bit more suppresion. I should have setup x2 fire lanes in either corner of my spear head and forced him to choose which way to send that land raider. Tried to suppress his Dread/Pred but make sure to kill those rhinos first. Get him foot slogging that emp champ across the board.

I am not a fan of 3 baals (at 1500). I love 2 of them, but while I dont think the dakka is as good, the 45 points makes it a lot more expendable, I can just push it up and leave it as the "obvious" or easiest target. The limited 24" forces me to be a bit more agressive with them early, and it gets them stunned and charged, I can offer a bit more redundancy with the AutoHB - 36" min / 48" max range opposed to 24/36 - with 48 being the better weapon.

Fear is just plain awesome. 2 of my 4 KP's came from not killing a single term/marshal - but fearing them off the board (I did kill a few in the end just through sheer lack of targets).

One of my other thoughts - If I drop the Baal and the infernus on the libby have 160 points to spend. I really REALLY like dreads, and trying to find a reason to take one. Furioso w/ fragcannon/DCCW = 125, drop pod = 35 - 160 - if I can find a few points can give it a melta gun - this still keeps me with AV13 (also another AV12 that I can use to BLOS) and a few more options.

Overall though, this was a game of managing to get a draw from the jaws of defeat. I was pleased with some of my later moves, but I really shot myself in my foot by not taking a minute to think about what he was doing. Though I have to say I feel this was another version of the lysander game (spearhead and KP's) and this time I didnt give up 10 KP's and managed a draw, so improvement?

Oh and we played out a bit of combat afterwards to see what would have happened, my libby got absolutely munched lol, he is literally the worst guy in combat, but he makes up for it in his mind war fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment