Thursday, 30 December 2010

Battle Report #5 - 1500 Necrons

So just finished up my first game vs Necrons since they were Metal Models and had like 2 poses and were nothing more than a Chapter Approved army from White Dwarf. Yup, long time. Lazyness on my part to get my hands on the necron book means I had little more than hearsay and the odd bit of reading to know what their rules were, I had a vague idea. The chap I played was a good character, and gave me some insight. He'd left a lot of his stuff at home so I lent him terms etc.. to proxy, shame I didnt have a LR with me because I could have let him proxy a monolith.

Was quite please with the game, so many rules I was not aware of or had just forgotten due to not having faced them.

The game was "close". T1 to T4 - despite losing 1 baal, 1 autolas and 1 autoHB being imob'd/losing its auto I was pretty in control of the midfield - I even fear'd his destroyer lord from midfield off the table with some decent placement of tankage.

He did a T4 "in game deepstrike" which I was not prepared for and had moved off my objective a bit, and had the game ended T5 I'd have lost - which was the only real mistake I felt I made in the game - something I'd not have made if I knew that rule properly. Luckily - the game went T6 - despite losing x10 marines to his lord+7 necrons over 2 combats, I ended up shooting them down to 1 and the 1 wound lord and assaulted FC marines into him and just dusted him completely.

On his objective I had moved the baal right onto his with a tank shock, but his destroyers managed to get a side armor wreck shot on it in T5 - which was a bit unlucky on my part, and my libby+RAS were about 6" out of the objective. Though they stood up to rapid fire and in T6 just went in decked them down in combat to like 1 or 2 guys - but didnt matter since I was 1-0 up.

Was a good game, I was a bit annoyed that if the game had ended T5 I'd have lost 2-0.

Few things about the game:

Possitives:

The Sang Priest - which I was sceptical about putting back in - made his points back and then some. The FC made the win in one combat vs the Scarabs - there was a couple of rolls that I needed the S5 for - but the FNP saved about 7 or 8 guys - thats more than 50 points - 1 squad would have died to fire without that FNP.

Unlike the Lysander game - I felt I did get out of the tanks appropriately - I maybe should have hammered forward for his objective a bit more and just got stuck into his troops w/ 10 guys w/ FC/FNP and plenty of shooting - the Libby getting out and fearing his lord off the table was a nice touch.

Negatives:

Lack of codex knowledge - since I've come back to the game I've worked my way through "most" of the codex's. Necrons however have gotten little more than a passing glance on the shelf. It has made me realise that I need to learn most codex's inside out "as if I was playing them" which means I want to start thinking of my own lists etc for stuff I'd never play ('Nids, Orks, DEldar to name a few - I am buying the codex's each time I finish reading one).

This was what should have cost me the game - lets say it ends T5 for arguement's sake - I lose a 2 objective game 2-0.

This was the other thing, I played a bit like a 6 turn game, I made the move to "contest" in T5 and was hoping that over 2 combats I'd deck the necrons in combat - x10 marines vs basically a sarge and tacticals - but was shocked when he got me to run off the table then cut down the other squad.

I think I could have played my tactics a bit differently. I could have just kept x1 lasplas back and maybe had the autolas's on the flanks, and sent 3 razors forward with the 2 baals and dakka and just gone straight for his warriors and let the lascannons deal with his destroyers. He had 2 troop choices which were also his weakest part of his army.

Not a bad game, but not a great game either, though overall I am not as hard on myself as I am usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment